Wednesday 8 August 2012

My Dormitory


So, this is the before picture. This is how the room looked when I entered and dumped all my things. It was a pretty good size, I have to say. I was quite lucky. The floors were hardwood, not laminate. Next to the door (where I'm taking the picture from) were in-built shelves. Proper, full sized shelves. And those doors are the closets (not too large, but not bad at all). So, I didn't exactly have any storage problems. I bought all white bedding because I didn't want to get sick of it. (The only thing I got sick of was the bedding getting dirty, though.)


This is after. Granted, I did change the room one or two more times, but just changing the position of the desk or the bed. So, I'll start with the shelves. I wasn't too concerned with making my shelf (the one on the right) look good because I had ugly textbooks, but I was determined to not just throw all my crap there. I only put books out in the open. I boxed up all my camera equipment in these really cute floral boxes I got from Spain a few years ago. A set of matching boxes is always a good idea for college as long as you have a shelf or space under your bed/on the floor.

I did a photo collage above my bed and I didn't plan it. At all. I just started sticking photos up there and they turned into a sort of mosaic. For the space above my desk, I have loose corkboard that I bought from Target where I put my more memorable knick-knacks up (postcards/ticket stubs/pins/drawings). I'll have an individual post on how to decorate walls because I think I could've done much better (even though we weren't allowed to poke ANY holes or leave any marks on ours). I also had a full-length mirror.

My desk is nothing great, just a lamp and a framed graphic T-shirt (I'll talk about this later too). Then, I have a photo mobile hanging in front of the window. The piece de resistance, however, is the lamp. I love this lamp for college because when I take it apart, it folds into four pieces. I bought a cheap, maybe $5, lamp from Target with a crappy shade. I got this nice, floral shade in the Ikea Clearance/As-Is section for about $3. I did a little frankenstein-ing and VOILA! The lamp!

I wish I had better pictures, but I didn't really take anymore good ones. This is all I've got. I will definitely talk more about dorm decorating and I highly encourage questions! 

If you have any "pre-college" questions, those would be great too!

Hope you all are enjoying your summer vacations :)

-Madhu


No comments:

Post a Comment