Wednesday 3 October 2012

Wall Collages

Every college student has one---you know what I'm talking about. The one place where most people decide to get crafty, the empty wall. My university actually supplied corkboards in each dorm, which was great because it confined the crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I love wall collages. They say a lot about the resident's personality, friends, hometown, priorities and hobbies. They're really interesting to look at and a great conversation piece. Most of them are, sadly, just waaay too crowded or overwhelming. Examples? I think yes!



So, most people put these things up for inspiration/motivation. I'm all for that. In fact, that's why I had collages. I have mixed feelings about this one. I really like that everything has been carefully arranged and spaced so that it looks neat. I don't like the size. Yeah, teenagers should be allowed to personalize their rooms and all, but I'm here to tell you guys what is visually appealing. When you look at this, do you think, "wow that's beautiful" or do you think, "wow he covered the whole wall...". If this person had just divided the collage and put some of the stuff up elsewhere in the room, it would be less visually distracting and more visually enticing.



This is from Karen Kavett's blog. She is a flawless human being. I think the main reason her collage works is because it has dimensions. Yes, it has a lot going on, but does it look TOO busy? No! Because she scaled the collage down and because she stuck to a black&white&green/blue color palette, things aren't too hectic. The fairy lights make sense in the space because they act like a frame and draw attention to the beautiful pennants! Of course, she is a professional visual designer so she knows her stuff. However, if you're bold and have an "eye", you can layer posters and random knick-knacks too. Overall, this is what you want to strive for. Something diverse, but controlled. Not something that draws attention away from the rest of the room, either. Looking at this makes me WANT to see the rest of her room.

See you all soon-ish?
-Madhu



2 comments:

  1. I love the ampersand on her wall!!!! maybe that will be my new thing/logo lolol. ampersands!!!!

    i wanna see your own wall ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment on my blog absolutely made my day! I'm glad that my maturity seems to come out even on my blog, that's huge. You seem like you wouldn't make too bad of a friend yourself ;).

    Ashlyn
    Triple Thread

    P.S.- My family is currently in the process of getting everything together to move to Texas!

    ReplyDelete