Friday 20 March 2015

Design Dreams





I haven't posted in ages! I have been having lots of thoughts about my love for design. I'm sure other people who like interior design, watch HGTV daily, and have homes that are constantly "under construction" can relate. How can we pour so much time and money into a hobby? Well, it's fulfilling. It's the same reason there are thousands and thousands of apps out there. Not every single app made for iPhones has been made by a company. In fact, many have been made my hobbyists. Maybe your hobby could turn into something big, maybe it won't. Either way, you get enjoyment out of it. That's all that matter, right?

Today, I want to share with you all my favorite spaces of all time. These are spaces I dream about at night. Heck--I daydream about them too! Anyway, onto the spaces. I'll leave little notes about what I love * and maybe what I don't love? #yourfaveisproblematic *

(via misswallflower)

Right, so this is gorgeous, kind of old-world-colonialism-chic. I know that's probably super inappropriate to say, but hey it has Indian/Eastern elements with solid wood & large windows prevalent in the western world. I particularly enjoy the canopies for curtains and the fact that the windows actually just look like they don't exist. As in is there actually glass in there?

Cons--this room is probably a sauna. It's a converted attic with basically no insulation. So if there IS an AC unit, it won't be effective. Also I'm not a big fan of the exposed hay/straw/whatever roof. Clearly, I don't know enough about roofs, but I do not enjoy the exposed parts in this place. Also, I could do without that couch cover. 


The bedroom above used to be my inspiration for my freshman dorm room. I had a lot of posters back then (some have ripped in the past four years) and I really liked the idea of white everything. So, yeah I still think this room is cute. Currently, I'm not a big fan of covering the windows with the city scape or whatever that is, but I still dig the lucite chair. The posters are perfectly cute and the light fixture is also soft & sweet. It's no longer my style, but it takes me back to 18 year old me. Good times.


This is the most recent thing I've pinned (I think?) and it embodies a few elements I really love. The first is the LIGHTING. I have been looking for lights like that (vertical string with round bulbs) and I am at a loss. I remember target had something similar but not quite right. What is that thing on the bar cart? I don't know but I like it. The idea of having a bar cart was proposed to me (multiple times) but my lovely friend and former roommate, Shaguna. I'm warming up to it, but I don't exactly want to showcase what I drink & how much I drink. (Because I drink cheap wine and elderflower liqueur) I LOVE THOSE TASSELS ON THE WALL! I found red paper tassels, somewhat similar, at Ikea in England and I jumped. I bought two strings even though I had no idea where I'd put them. The hanging plant, sheepskin rug, very interesting tree-like flooring, and random geometric shapes/flowers just speak to me. I need it all.


Can you say coziest reading nook? I like the idea of piling pillows so high that you cover the wall. I wish the plants were a bit more lively, but the macrame and the dainty lights kind of make up for the lackluster foliage. Also, I have a very similar old camera. I need to display it now. 


Okay, a loft space is the dream. High ceilings are a dream. Also, I have seen that minimal bookshelf ALL OVER THE INTERNET but have no idea where to purchase it. It's maddening. I'm super into tweed-like grey couches and poufs. I could do without the cheetah-print chair, but I do like the oversized candle holder. Or at least that's what I think it is? The illuminated balls just rawk. Hands down.


You guys. I wanted this wall mural SO HARD. I had plans to recreate it, but then got dejected when I realized I can't paint the walls of my rented college apartment. The bed kind of sucks, but LOOK AT THAT ART. Ombre/watercolor/grey/blue mountains. What more could I want? I might get a bed sheet and recreate it still.


So, this room is a bit darker than what I usually like, but I love that I can look at it and kind of guess what type of person lives there. I like that the chairs are mismatched and you could probably get them all at goodwill (except for the Eames chair of course). I just think this could be a good space to share with a significant other. 


Hanging jewelry is my jam. My jewelry isn't pretty enough (not all of it anyway) to be hung in public, but if you've got it, flaunt it. But yeah, this desk is awesome because it has STORAGE!!! I wouldn't need to put everything on top of my desk, which leaves space to style my desk with ART! Also, I have that desk (but with two of the white legs so no storage)


I don't think I need to explain this one. At least I hope I don't. It's an outdoor movie night with like a potluck going on, right? Get a million pillows, a rooftop and some chill friends and you're set.

What spaces have you been dreaming about?

xx Madhu








No comments:

Post a Comment