Wednesday 18 June 2014

Online Prowess

The main problem for college students who value their personal space & have a passion for design is budget. How can you fill your space with things you love that represent you when you're only there for a short amount of time? And you have to move constantly (especially if you live in a dorm), so it can't be too heavy & permanent?

Well, you're at least thinking wisely. Yes, you aren't going to be in this space long and you will have to move the items. So, you shouldn't sink oodles of money into decoration. Basically, you need to buy things that look expensive, but are in fact not expensive. Your best bet is online clearance.

Firstly, shopping for deals takes a good amount of time, planning & patience. Don't buy the first things you fall in love with, even if you think they might be a good price.


1. Make a list of the things that you NEED to buy.


This is a sort of multi-faceted step, because this means you must make a list of things you already have. I suggest taking everyday things that are out of sight & necessary from your parents' home. These are things like plastic cutlery & dishes & older pots & pans. All the kitchen stuff your parents can spare---take them. They don't need to be pretty, just functional. You will end up throwing them out after college, because you never know where you'll be going then. This will drastically increase your budget for big-ticket items that define your space more, like furniture! Furniture is particularly fun to shop for, too.

Also, try to inherit things from your upperclassmen friends or siblings. Of course, make sure they are smaller items that you still like (that will fit with your color scheme or design plan). These items can be end tables, picture frames, ottomans, cushions, shower caddies & storage boxes.

Then, and only then can you make that list. Here's my list--granted I have an apartment now so it's not like I'm moving from a dorm to an apartment, but these are items I actually need. Like cannot live without. I used the Notes app on my phone to keep track. (Note: my phone is on airplane mode because I am in England visiting my parents. Don't want to get charged astronomical bills, ya know. Living that budget life.)

2. Beware of hidden costs/requests.

Shipping is the big one. Also, don't forget tax. Online shopping seems so easy because you don't have to worry about it fitting in your car or even having a car/paying for gas. However, sometimes it might make more sense to do that. 

Also, if you are online shopping to look at reviews for items you intend on buying in the store, make 100% sure that item is sold & stocked in the store nearest you. Call the store up to be absolutely certain. Heck, have them set it aside for you and scurry on down there! Do all you need to do get that item. You want it, you need it, secure it.

3. Start cheap.

The first thing you need to do when you get to the website of a store you fancy is GO TO THE SALE SECTION. I cannot stress this enough. 

Mentally, it is a lot easier to realize that you need to increase your budget becuase you are not satisfied with the cheaper things. You don't want to see your dream $1000 chair before you start looking through the mis-matched & sort of sad clearance section of the store (I'm talking about you, IKEA clearance. You can have such GREAT finds like my $4 lampshade, but bury them in the pile of missing pieces & broken dishes.) Go to the clearance first and really use your imagination.

If you honestly can't find anything you love online or offline in the bargains, then you can check the full-priced items. But make sure this is something you not only really need & love right now, but that you could take with you after college or sell for a good price. 

4. Don't be afraid of ebay.

I'm aware of the stigma against ebay, but it is very easy to overcome and well worth it. Make sure you have these settings on:
  • BUY IT NOW
  • SORT PRICE: LOW TO HIGH
  • NEW 
  • US ONLY (or your respective country of residence)

Ebay is a glorious land of dupes & even nice items that are just priced very well because of
online retailers who works solely through ebay. It is a great place to buy snazzy cases & covers for your phones, tablets, laptops and e-readers. I also use it for nail polishes and books and things you don't need to physically inspect before buying. I would actually recommend smaller furniture items, but probably not something fragile.

I bought this camera strap from ebay for $11 over 4 years ago.

It was in The Amazing Spider Man and I'm pretty sure I saw Urban Outfitters selling the same one for about $30 or $40. Like what??

5. Exhaust yourself through all the options.

You don't want to buy, online or in-store, without knowing that you've found the best deal. I like to search for the item (like a desk) on all my favorite websites & calculate the total cost (with shipping) and then PIN that item with the link to the website on my "to buy" pinterest board.  This way, I can look at my board after researching for hours and see which desk is the best looking & cheapest. You can also just bookmark the items, but I am a visual person. Here are a few of the best websites!
  • Ikea
  • Target
  • Overstock.com
  • ebay (duh)
  • Walmart
  • Amazon.com

xx Madhu

P.S. Sorry this post wasn't as wordy---I had to rewrite it because it didn't save for some ghastly reason. I felt kind of rushed. In any case, I'll probably add to it as things come to me because I know that this can help a lot of people!

No comments:

Post a Comment